Posts tagged healing
I have always used art as a form of therapy. Sometimes when I am happy, most often when I’m angry or upset. My art of choice is typically drawing or painting. I have a couple notebooks and keep some canvas on the ready just incase I want to explode. You just pour yourself onto the paper or canvas.
Do you think your not creative enough? It doesn’t have to be anything at all really you can just pour paint on the paper and swirl it around. Your not trying to be Picasso, you are letting your feelings out so just go with whatever happens.
If you feel you must have some inspiration you can try a book. Here are two that I own and have found some good ideas from them. My stuff never turns out how the people in the book make it and that is ok!
You can also search the internet. I have found myself spending a couple hours just searching ideas in preparation for when I need it. Save yourself some time and check out my pinterest board for Art Inspiration. I have a variety of pins including quotes and tutorials.
What do you need?
You can use whatever is in your home. Paper, #2 pencils, crayons, cardboard. The possibilities are endless.
Since this is for therapy and not to make money my supplies are pretty basic. It started out small and grew as I tried different mediums and decided I liked using them.
Here is a list of supplies I have on hand at all times:
These notebooks allow many different media types. I paint with acrylic, water color, draw with pencil, micron pens, etc. Makes it easier to have one book for everything.
* Canson 9-Inch by 12-Inch Extra Long Multi-Media Paper Pad, 60-Sheet
To me these are the best drawing pencils.
* Faber-Castell 9000 Pencil Design Set
Student paint and the price was right. I also love the color choices! I don’t often have to mix colors other than maybe making a color lighter.
* Studio 71 – 24 Tube Paint Set
I purchased these brushes when I lived in Pittsburgh and haven’t been able to find them anywhere in Sarasota. I have a couple different packs so I should be good for awhile. Just get something cheap but not natural hair as it tends to come out in the paint.
* Studio 71 Premium Brushes
This is basic canvas and the price isn’t bad.
* Darice Studio 71 8-Inch-by-10-Inch Traditional Canvas
Sponges are great for making a textured look on acrylic.
* Arts & Crafts Painting Sponges
Watercolor paper is expensive so I only have this 6×6 pad so far.
* Global Art Fluid Watercolor Blocks 6 in. x 6 in. block
Instead of washing out a plastic palette I use these sheets and just throw them away when I am done.
* Darice Studio 71 9-Inch-by-12-Inch, 40-Sheet Palette
These are great pens for zentangle and journaling. I have a couple different sized black ones and some color ones as well.
* Sakura 30068 8-Piece Pigma Micron Clam Assorted Colors 01 Ink Pen Set
Charcoal pencils are messy but one of my favorite things to work with.
* General Pencil Charcoal Pencil Kit W/Eraser 557BP
When I draw with charcoal I use this eraser to remove some of the charcoal to create lines.
* Pentel Clic Eraser Grip Retractable Eraser with Grip, Assorted Barrels, 1 Pack (ZE21BP-K6)
I sometimes use colored pencils with my pencil and charcoal drawing just to give it a little color.
* Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils, 24 Assorted Color Pencils
So go get messy, it’s ok! Make some art!
Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/beachgirlroxy/blog.justroxy.com/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 855
I decided to make a list of goals for myself. Things I need do to, things I want to do. If you read my blog from last night you may understand why I am doing this. I have alot of built up anger and negativity. I also do more for other’s than I do for myself. In the case of my children it can be good but I do it in all areas of my life.
It can be so hard to change, but that negativity towards it has stopped me for many years. No more excuses. I need to take my life into my own hands and make things happen. I am responsible for making myself happy.
- Try to be more positive [trying hard, difficult when things keep going wrong] [i have been doing alot more of this, even in my blog. we all have our moments tho.] [I think I did a good job through the year. I had my ups and downs of positivity but I think I did better than I had previous years.]
- Do more for myself [since I am laid off I have time for it, no excuse] [i'm probably taking too much time for myself some days. but hey it's ok] [I didn't end the year well in this category. For some reason I get more pleasure from doing for others even if it means I am unhappy. I can't seem to break this habit.]
- Take care of myself [since I am laid off I have time for it, no excuse] [I didn't end the year doing well here either. I need to focus on this more.]
- finish last cookbook and promote it. [I did not do this at all. It is on my new list]
- go through my clothes and get rid of what i hang onto [finally went through my clothes. I now have more room in my drawers!]
- go through my house and get rid of what i hang onto [started working on this. my living room is less cluttered. need to work on the rest of the house yet] [i'm slacking, need to do more and possibly box some stuff up for a flea market] [I have been keeping busy doing things I shouldn't be doing so my hard work in the beginning is looking like I didn't bother at all] [with a remodel project i was able to get rid of many things I should have a long time ago. I can always work on this.]
- cut down on how much of my time I volunteer [already started. I have given up way to much of the last 10 years of my life] [have a camping trip this weekend which is the last of my volunteer commitments] [i went to a meeting of another organization. why do i always do this to myself? It is a good cause tho, for my kids school. the meeting was overwhelming tho and I am not sure in what capacity I will help.] [I don't volunteer for anything anymore. I do miss it though, it was rewarding.]
- learn to cook healthy food [working on it. Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution got me going!] [have been getting my kids eating better too. my oldest has been the easiest thus far, my youngest is my most difficult] [i'm doing better grocery shopping but eating out more often since i've had people to hang out with and it's tearing my stomach up.] [when i went to get my hair done she told me my hair looked healthier than ever and she said it's because I'm eating better!]
- finish dvd’s of photo’s on computer [yay finally done with that! now getting the kids to burn their stuff.]
- have pics printed [I had one set of pics printed and they were of my dog who passed away so I still need to do this]
- cut down on how many facebook games i play [started working on this. i cut it down to farmville, cafe world and zoo world. there were many more] [I play one game, farmville.]
- decide if twitter is necessary [for now I decided to keep it] [and i have barley used it in months now]
- decide what i want my blog to be [just about me and whatever i may fancy. i got this idea i needed a theme for awhile. screw a theme its whatever!] [check out my new goals post for this]
- organize blog labels: [This was the easiest to accomplish. I wanted my labels to be different than most. And cut down on how many I had with the wide array of topics I blog about.]
- start saving money to make my dreams come true [did not happen and I don't want to talk about it.]
- write more [i have been blogging more.] [i have been writing almost every weekday now.] [I have slacked in writing more but it's not because I don't want to I just don't have much time.]
- use my “Wreck this Journal” [this is again on my list as I haven't touched it]
To see my new goals check out Looking towards 2011.
If you have been reading my blog you will notice I can be a very negative person. I do believe it stems from my parents. Unfortunatly it has been passed onto my children. Thankfully not as bad as far as I can tell but it’s there.
My husband and I have been going to marriage counseling since November. We needed to do something or move on. I can’t say things are hunky dorey but were learning to deal with each other better. In the long run whatever happens I think we will be able to talk better at least.
This evening I had a session alone. We talked about how I deal with our issues and a little about family. We had went further into family dynamics at an earlier session. There we discovered I have a huge disconnect with my fathers side of the family. I have found I would like to re-connect with them. The distance makes it difficult but it’s something I hope to work on.
During tonights session we talked about my letting go of things. She shared a few ways to help me do that. I used to do Yoga until I pulled a muscle in my back though I would like to start that again too. She pulled out a deck of cards and asked me to pick one. One? Lol I went through and wound up with 6. She asked me to narrow it down to 3 and I was stuck on 4. So we dealt with the 4. She was nice enough to make copies of the cards for me.
So card 1 stated on the front:
Rely on yourself
On the back it says:
Today’s lesson: look at the issue of dependency. Do you rely upon others to do what you should be doing for yourself? Healing is a solo endeaver, and while we all need support during this process, ultimatly the task of self-empowerment rests with us. Your goal: to identify and modify the ways in which you release personal responsability to others.
I do tend to make others responsable for things. One for instance is my happiness. I spent many years depressed thinking I needed validation from my husband to be happy with myself.
Card 2 front:
Let go of resentment.
On the back:
Today’s lesson: acknowledge one resentful feeling you need to release, and keep in mind that all types of resentment are poisin and harm the healing process. Your goal: to become mindful of your reasons for staying angry, and to begin letting go of negative feelings by the end of the day.
I know I’m resentful of alot of things. I resent my parents for not being strict enough, for abuse, and much more. I resent my husband for not always being what I want him to be. It doesn’t help me feel good and I need to learn to let go of some of these things for which I have no control over or have ended long ago.
Follow your dreams
Today’s lesson: point out one special dream or ambition that you’ve vacillated about or postponed. What has motivated you to put posative actions on hold? Your goal: to determine whether your excuse is real, and if not, identify the real reason you’ve delayed so that you can do something about it.
So it’s hard to make your dreams come true if you have all this unsettled negativity and built up anger. If you asked me earlier what is stopping me from my dreams I would have said my husband. But I have to wonder if it’s my relying on him for my happiness. We don’t share the same dream but I have to decide if that’s what I want with or without him. I guess these all need dealt with.
Last is card 4:
Eat healthful foods
Todays lesson: eat only foods that are good for you. Perhaps this is something you normally do, in which case you should feel very good about how well you’re caring for yourself. Most people, however, know that they should be more attentive to this area, but find it difficult. Your goal: to practice healthy nutrition.
This is something I have been working on. It’s difficult coming home from work and not just popping in something quick. I love to cook but even before my work days I cooked fatty, fried, you name it bad food. I cooked good food too. Finding foods we will all like is also difficult as well as it does seem to cost more.
So I am going to try and think of these things and continue to work on them. I can’t promise I won’t bitch or vent cause sometimes you just need to, but I will try to do it less as I know it only angers me more half the time.
With that said I feel better about things after that session. I don’t know what the future holds but I need to rely more on myself to be happy instead of expecting others to make me happy.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod Touch